Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Apple Crisp

Filling:

  • 1 apple
  • half small lemon
  • 1 T water
  • 2 t zsweet/granulated sugar sub. (adjust amount if not using zsweet)
  • cinnamon

    1. Preheat oven to 400.
    2. Peel, core, and slice/chop apple.
    3. Place apples in small baking dish.
    4. Cover with juice of 1/2 small lemon, zsweet/sugar sub., water, and few dashes of cinnamon. Toss.

    Topping:

  • 1 grissini
  • 1 t milk
  • 1/2 t cinnamon
  • 1/4 t nutmeg
  • 1/4 t pumpkin pie spice

    1. Grind grissini into a powder using food processor or coffee grinder.
    2. Add milk in 1/4 t increments. Slowly stir until mixture forms a slightly moist crumbly topping.
    3. Sprinkle on top of apple filling.

    Bake:

    1. Cover dish and bake 20 mins.
    2. Remove cover and broil 1-2 mins to crisp topping.
    3. Serve immediately.

    NOTE: This is really filling and tastes so much like apple pie it almost feels like cheating! My entire family loves it.

    This includes 1 t of your allowed 1 T milk for the day. Also includes your grissini and fruit portion for one meal.

    You can also totally omit the topping if you don't want to use a grissini portion.

  • 5 comments:

    Skinny Cow said...

    I made this tonight without the milk and grissini, and it was simply DEEE LIIII SHUS! lol THANK YOU! I was wanting something sweet and would have NEVER thought to be this creative! I appreciate all of your recipes!

    Danielle said...

    This sounds AMAZING!!! I've only been doing this diet for a week and I'm already getting bored with the food... Just found your blog tonight and I can't wait to try EVERYTHING! :) Usually I just eat my apple sliced up with cinnamon, but I am for sure making this for dessert tomorrow! Thanks for your work to make our lives easier, and our diet tastebuds happier! :)

    Anonymous said...

    I made this tonight and it was not good at all. The measurements listed for the spices were way to much for such a small amount of topping and it tasted bitter. Had to throw it away. :(

    Anonymous said...

    O-M-G, this is soooo good!! I didn't do the topping this time, but it was still wonderful! Thanks so much for the recipe! I'm on day 4, so glad I found this early!

    Anonymous said...

    Love It!. Eating it right now. I'm on R1P2D5 (down 6.5 lbs). I wanted a baked apple for breakfast this morning and found your recipe. I used my melba toast and didn't have pumpkin spice. It's very satisfying, and it's treats like this that will help you stay on this diet. So glad I found it! Thanks.