Sunday, September 30, 2007

Tip O' The Day

These sorts of tips most likely won't be a regular occurrence, but I have received this particular question via email a few times so I thought I would address it here for others that might want a helpful tip. :)

Soup

All of the soups on HCG Recipes can be prepared in advance and frozen for 3-6 months. When making a batch, I usually have 2 or 3 pots going so I can keep my portions separate (only because I'm a bit anal). That way I can easily fix a meal in the future with no hassle.

Simply cool the soup after cooking it and place it in an air-tight container. You can use tupperware, etc - but what I prefer using is freezer bags. You roll the top of the bag over itself about an inch (this leaves air space and keeps the top from getting messy). Then fill up the bag, seal, and set it on its side to freeze. This allows you to take up much less freezer space as they are easily stackable. Also remember to label it.

When ready to serve, you can take it out the night before and set it in the refrigerator to defrost. OR, my personal favorite, bring a pot of water to boil, set the freezer bag full of soup in the pot (leaving it sealed!) and let it thaw through for 5 mins or so. Then you can simply dump the water, then put the thawed soup in the pot & warm. Easy stuff.

I hope that helps. As the weather keeps cooling, I'll be posting more & more soup/stew/crockpot type of recipes as they are a lifesaver for me.

Happy Eating!

No comments: