Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Tomato Soup

I was in the mood for soup today so tried to whip up a tomato soup that was on protocol. This ended up being just the right amount & was really delicious. A great new way to enjoy your tomatoes. :)

  • 170g tomato (this was my allowed amount - yours may vary)
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1/2 c water
  • 3/4 t basil (vary to taste)
  • 1/2 t onion powder
  • salt
  • black pepper

    1. Preheat broiler.
    2. Cut tomato(es) in half.
    3. Place tomato(es) on nonstick baking sheet. Flat side down.
    4. Broil for 5-10 mins, or until the skins are blistered and blackened.
    5. Let cool, then remove skins & seeds.
    6. In a medium sized saucepan, heat 1/4 c water over medium heat.
    7. Add onion powder & cook for 5 minutes.
    8. Add garlic & cook for 2 more minutes.
    9. While that's cooking, place tomato(es) in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth.
    10. Stir tomato puree into saucepan and add the rest of your water (1/4 c).
    11. Bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 5 minutes.
    12. Stir in basil and season with salt & pepper.


    TIP: I roast several tomatoes at one time, let them cool, then freeze them in a freezer bag. Then when I'm ready to fix some tomato soup (or sauce, salsa, etc) I simply take out however many I need, let them thaw and fix them just the same (skipping the roasting process again, of course).

  • 12 comments:

    Kim said...

    Sounds yummy! How do you know what your

    Kim said...

    Shoot!

    How do you know what your allowed amounts are?

    Renee said...

    Hi Kim.

    How most of us figure our allowed amounts of veggies is to figure our total calories for the day for our planned meats, fruits, and grissini/melba, and then figure up the remaining calories up to 500 for the vegetables.

    Kim said...

    Renee,

    I'm going out to buy a calorie counter today! Thanks again for the recipe. You should write a cookbook! Next I will try the Caribbean Rub, sounds amazing!

    Anonymous said...

    Thank you SO much for this recipe. It just saved my diet. I was sitting here agonizing, although not hungry, just horribly craving some comfort food. Before I caved, I made a huge bowl of your tomato soup. It really hit the spot and totally reinvigorated me.

    Delicious! Keep 'em coming! I'm trying the strawberry sorbet for dessert, can't wait!!!

    Renee said...

    Nahemahl,

    I'm so happy that you enjoyed it! This is one of my favorite standbys as well. Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate it!

    Anonymous said...

    I ate this for 14 nights straight!!! Abolutely yummy!! I added cubed grilled garlic chicken and fresh minced basil at the end -- and a shot of tabasco, fresh ground black pepper -- really hit the spot. I look forward to it every day. Certainly doesn't taste like something I'm eating on a VLCD diet!

    Wendy said...

    I made a HUGE pot of this last night to go with our Tilapia. WE LOVED IT!!!! My kids, who are not on the program just scarfed it down. We will make this again.

    Renee said...

    How wonderful that even your kids enjoyed it! Now that's a compliment! :)

    Thank you so much for the nice comment.

    Memory Moments said...

    I was just sitting at my computer. In tears and trying to decide if I could really stick this thing out. I am only on day 8 but I am cranky and sick of not being able to eat anything other than chicken and shrimp. Then I found your blog. I feel rejuvenated and I hope I can stick it out. Thank you!

    Amber said...

    Yum! I just tried this recipe and it is so good. I am just on day 6 and needed some creative recipes to push me on to more flavor. Thank you so much!

    Anonymous said...

    I just made this recipe and stop my craving for tomato soup....I am thinking about making it all the time even when I am off the diet. I love it.