- Preheat oven to 450.
- In a small bowl, add milk, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper. Mix to make a batter.
- Grind grissini in food processor until it is a powder. (I use my coffee grinder.)
- Put grissini in a separate small bowl.
- Place rings in batter bowl and toss to coat fully. (It's best to use your hands here to ensure you coat each ring.)
- Let sit in batter 2-3 mins then toss again.
- Dip each ring into the grissini powder by hand. I find it works best to do these one at a time, rolling the ring in the grissini coating instead of tossing or shaking it on.
- Place on cookie sheet lined with non-stick aluminum foil.
- Cook 6-7 mins. Then flip, cooking an additional 6-7 mins.
- Serve immediately.
NOTE: Don't expect these to look like a diner's fried onion rings when you pull them out of the oven. I have to admit I was disappointed the first time when I saw them come out thinking I failed somewhere along the line. But then I tasted them. YUM! To me, they tasted like good ol' onion rings but without all the grease. Serve them plain or with homemade mustard and you're good to go.
Also, remember that this includes both your veggie and grissini portion for your meal.