Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Chicken "Gravy"

  • 1/2 c homemade broth
  • 1 grissini

    1. Add 1/4 c broth to small saucepan and bring to boil.
    2. While broth is heating, grind grissini in food processor until it is a powder. (I use my coffee grinder.)
    3. Add the powdered grissini to the pan, whisking constantly until dissolved.
    4. Still whisking, add remaining 1/4 c broth.
    5. Reduce heat to MED and whisk for 3-4 mins, until thickened.
    6. I usually add some salt, pepper, thyme, sage, or poultry seasoning, etc for more flavor. Feel free to add any spices you like.

    TIP: I pour this over my boiled chicken that I use to make my broth. This gives it a lot more flavor as boiled chicken is usually pretty bland.

  • 5 comments:

    BizBuzz said...

    OMG - Ok Renee, this is about the best. Ya know, I consider myself a good cook, but I never considered using Melba Toast/Grassini to make gravy, OMG - this is THE perfect comfort food! My son is on this and said I could make this for him daily and it would be ok. He could survive! THANK YOU!

    Renee said...

    Wonderful, biz! I hope he likes it. I found it quite 'comforting' myself and it makes the perfect amount to cover our allotted amount of chicken.

    Just remember to whisk whisk whisk! :)

    Didi said...

    we LOVE this gravy. Hubby and I are doing the hcg program together, and this is definitely going to be one of our main go-to recipes. Thanks for sharing :)

    GCmomto3 said...

    I used 2 garlic melba toast;
    little more than 1/2 C. Beef Broth from my roast - which I removed before I added the potatoes & carrots;

    Mine never got smooth, but it tasted great! I didn't feel so deprived - lol!

    Anonymous said...

    Awesome! So glad I tried this. It was the first time I looked forward to just grilled chicken!